Scot-lish

A quick blog about England, Scotland and a long trail of Harry Potter movie locations. Look around if you've ever wanted to vist the UK, or are a Harry Potter fan and want to see the places I've been. And become Scot-lish. Like me.

Name:
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Finally in my 20s, love reading and a huge Harry Potter fan

The current mood of Tazzu at www.imood.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

DAY FIVE

Today was to have a rather historical start. We raced off to Stratford-upon-Avon,

the place of Shakespeare's birth. Most of the actual birthplace area is padestrianised, so leaving my dad in the car (since he thought going to look at the birthplace of someone who has been dead for quite some time was... well, insane!), my mom and I wandered off down the cobbled road. The first thing you notice as you start, is this statue:

The quote at the bottom says: "O NOBLE FOOL! A WORTHY FOOL!", which is from 'As You Like It'.

Down the left side of the street, we pass a few shops selling cold drinks, ice-creams and pins and scarves, but then we come to the main attraction. Here we find the actual place in which Shakespeare was born (couldn't be much more obvious, could it?):

The house looks surprisingly stable and well looked after, considering how old it is. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to go inside, but I've heard that it is quite something to see!

Crossing over to the other side of the road, we found many shops bearing Shakespeare's name, as though he frequented the places quite often. There is the Shakespeare Bookshop, which I foolishly thought was a general bookshop, but in fact only sells the works of one particular author...

and then, of course, the best part of the street... the Shakespeare's Little Sweet Shop. Let me list some of the available choices in this store:

  • Strawberry, Apple and Lemon Bon Bons
  • Pear-Drops
  • Fruit Jellies
  • Kola Cubes
  • Sour Pops
  • Pineapple Chunks
  • Assorted, Cola, Bubblegum, Strawberry and Blackcurrent Millions
  • Chocolate Stem Ginger
  • Rainbow Drops
  • Chocolate Nuts
  • Crispets (what??)
  • Herbal Tablets
  • Toasted and Grey's Teacakes

and that's just to name a few. There was also a enormous variety of fudges (my favourite!!!) and biscuits or cookies. This shop is just incredible. I now know exactly what it feels like to be "a kid in a candy store"!!

After our trip back into history, it was time for one of the more boring parts of the trip (well, for me at least). One of the places my dad was dying to see was Donington Park, which is a car / racing museum...

I will admit, this place is pretty well laid out. There are a lot of statues in the gardens in memory of some of history's best racing drivers, and from the look on my dad's face when he finally came out of the building two hours later, the museum is fantastic too. This is definitely to be recommended to any racing car lovers!

Some of the other sites for today:

  • A beautiful church, in the middle of nowhere:

  • Many lavender fields (which would keep appearing throughout the trip):

  • My first time to a Tesco's - if it sounds strange that I'm getting excited about a grocery store, remember that anything you see for the first time can be pretty thrilling, no matter how stupid it seems!
  • Sherwood Forest in Nottingham... as in Robin Hood's home!

MOST FASHIONABLE FASHION IN UK TODAY:

  • Peasant skirt

SONG HEARD MOST OFTEN TODAY:

  • "Crazy Chick" by Charlotte Church
  • "Speed of Sound" by Coldplay (makes for a great change from the previous song!!)

CAR OF THE MOMENT TODAY:

  • Mini Cooper (how surprising!)

TOURISTY THINGS BOUGHT TODAY:

  • Postcards
  • Fudge from the Little Sweet Shop
  • Bookmarks with wise Shakespearean quotes

1 Comments:

Blogger manseauR said...

Hey!! Very good information here :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my car. It is my prize posession. Took me 3 hours though. So I settled down into my office and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my associates degree and have spent the last 6 months researching massage therapy st louis. In the middle of my browsing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am invading but I must say it is great blog. Even though your blog is way off base from massage therapy st louis I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote down your url and feel free to visit me here at massage therapy st louis. I am so busy so I can only update my site weekly. Keep up the awesome work.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home